WHALE WATCHING TOURS
Gulf Islands BC
WHALE WATCHING TOUR 3-4hrs
We operate April to October and have a 98% success rate. Particular sightings vary day to day but the most prevalent species we see are Orca & Humpbacks. We also see a variety of other marine wildlife in our local Salish Sea.
Adult – $169
Youth (4-11) – $149
Senior (65+) – $149
DEPARTURES FROM OUTER ISLANDS. // +$24 per person
Sturdies Bay at Government Dock (attached to the BC Ferries dock)
NORTH PENDER ISLAND
Port Washington at the Government Dock
Miners Bay at the Government Dock
*Tours and Marine Wildlife Tours. The pickup results in an hour shorter tour for picked up passengers. We only do one outer island pickup per tour, so the opportunity is limited . We recommend booking well in advance.
PRIVATE CHARTERS // $1700
Our vessel seats a maximum of 12 passengers
WILDLIFE YOU MAY SEE
Great Blue Heron
WHY OUR TOURS ARE AMAZING
- All our Transport Canada Certified Captains are trained Naturalists with ample experience and knowledge of our local ecosystems, who are passionate about wildlife and conservation.
- We do not watch critically endangered populations, as the long term health and safety of our local species is our upmost priority.
- Our vessel is high performance, safe and Transport Canada Certified, powered by quiet engines with the lowest emissions.
- We work collaboratively with researchers and support the Centre for Whale Research.
- We are centrally located in the heart of the Salish Sea — perfectly positioned for finding whales!
- Our boat has an on-board washroom.
The Gulf Islands are a wild place, full of amazing marine wildlife
LEARN FIRST-HAND ABOUT ENDANGERED SPECIES AND ECOSYSTEMS in a region that is facing growing conservation concerns. Since the locations of many animals are determined by the tides, weather, time of day, breeding cycles and food supply, we do not follow a predetermined route – every adventure is truly unique.
WE OPERATE BETWEEN APRIL AND OCTOBER. Our tours are based on weather and whale/marine wildlife sighting information. The speed and manoeuvrability of our vessel and the daily observations of our crew make a tour with Salt Spring Adventure Co. Ltd. the best way to experience the nature and splendour of the Gulf Islands.
WHALE SIGHTING GUARANTEE!
(June to September)
We are proud to offer a Whale Guarantee to our guests. We belong to whale spotting network and provide passengers with the most up to date information prior to departure. Typically, If you do not see whales on our Whale Watching Tours between June and September, you get a Gift Certificate good for one year to come back and have another amazing day on our Whale Watching Tour.
WHY WE WHALE WATCH
We love what we do and we do it for a variety of reasons.
Supporting Whale Conservation
We are some of the luckiest people on earth, being able to view these magnificent whales in their own territory. Our Southern Resident Killer Whales (SRKW) population is critically endangered and their lives are threatened due to lack of food, among other problems. WE DO NOT view SRKW at all. Furthermore, our conservation donation money is used to directly aid in scientific studies, as well as initiatives working towards habitat protection and salmon stock restoration.
All the orcas we watch are from the transient population and we ensure to respect their space. The long term health and safety of all our marine mammal populations are of upmost importance to us.
We are dedicated to helping to protect our local environment and animals. $1.00 from every person that goes whale watching or marine sightseeing with us goes directly to the Centre for Whale Research, who have been dedicated to the study and conservation of whale populations within the Salish Sea since 1976. Thank you for helping us create a brighter future for our cetations!
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Minimum of five (5) passengers is required for public tours
- Tours are subject to change due to weather
- Waivers must be signed prior to departure.
- Please dress for the day; we provide full length flotation suits.
- We are the only open 12 passenger zodiac based on Salt Spring Island and proud to serve the Gulf Islands community.
- We recommend binoculars and zoom lenses for cameras